Sunday, February 22, 2009

Short Hair and short tempers


It's that time of the week again. I guess we are settling into a routine of one blog per week. More than enough, no doubt. A boring life should not be overly emphasized. 

This morning I rec'd a haircut. (See what I mean.) Actually, that isn't as boring as it might sound. This haircut is a very special haircut. It's the kind of haircut Jason has been urging me to get for years. He says I'd look younger with shorter hair. Well, now he'd be rightfully proud and if my wife comes back from showing her powerpoint presentation to someone who has already seen it,  I'll get her to take a picture and add it to this blog. That will by my very first attempt at adding visual aids to help those who don't understand what I am saying.

Last night, our Personal Ministries Dept. had a planning meeting and to help us bond, they showed a movie. It was good. I recommend it. Ben Carson's story called Gifted Hands is worth seeing even if you are not African American or even if you didn't vote for Barack Obama.

This week, I made contact by telephone with someone I haven't seen in 21 years. She was a student in our home at Fountainview. Can you guess who it is? (Only for those who were in that home.) She use to flitter around the house like a butterfly looking at herself in the windows as she pirouetted by. You guessed it, it is none other than our very own Reina Stark, now Hosier. 

We had a great reunion. She sounds just like she use to sound and is still as bubbly. Check out her blog "The Ramblings of a Recovering Malcontent." She is a very good writer. She'd love to hear from you, as well. 

We had the graduation of our eighteen-day Lifestyle Guests this week. C.A. Murray, the Production Manager at 3ABN gave a testimony about his time at EVI and said that he got tested for cancer and they found none. That is so encouraging to us and best of all, he broadcasted the facts on air. A whole bunch of people have since called and want to come to EVI. Another lady from 3ABN said her cholesterol count fell by 70 points during the time she was with us. Everyone could point to some improvement in their health. We may not have made a pile of money, but we are altogether blessed for having ministered to more people.

Allow me a spiritual thought.
I was thinking about irritability this week. (I assume you all know what that is.) It's the feeling you get when someone gets on your nerves. These people don't have to be miserable to get on your nerves, they just have to exist in your space. So, if there is anyone in your life, then you've had the experience.  We don't all handle the situation well, however. Some people come unglued, they complain, criticize, whine, and accuse. Others, keep their feelings under the control of grace. Which are you?

I've been thinking about this. If I got everything just as I want it, when I want it and in the right amount, I guess I wouldn't get too flustered, would I? The only reason for getting huffy is when something comes between me and the thing I want. It boils down to being self-important. How dare anyone, or anything touch my sensitive self?Don't you just hate being a fallen being? A deeper look reveals that the thing that comes between me and the thing I want is really the cross. 

And the cross is God's solution to our sin problem. Not only the cross of Calvary, the our daily cross. By it we learn to be loving to the unlovely, joyful and sweet in situations which might ordinary cause us to boil. If we can be sweet by God's grace and by relating well the not having all we want, then then we can be sweet all the time. Praise God for the opportunities everyday life affords us to grow and praise God for the cross.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment