Thursday, May 21, 2009

Everyday Bore

To help myself forward with this blogging business, I started a little book. I leave the book on my pillow every day. At night, before I go to bed I write what happened during the day. Generally, this is pretty boring stuff, but I've noticed that when my kids talk about their everyday happenings, I am truly interested. For whatever reason, people who love you are just interested in what's happening. So, that's the experiment. Today you get the common, everyday, boring stuff. 

We'll start with last Sabbath. Ben Trajillo preached. I love Ben. He is straight talking. For the first time in a long time I haven't had to preach in three Sabbaths in a row. Unheard of, but a great rest. The whole church (80 people) came over to our cafeteria to eat lunch. Amazingly, we fed each one. After lunch I took our Lifestyle Guests to Lily Lake. The day was perfect. We walked around the lake, and climbed a small mountain. Lovely. In the evening, a young (18-22) Amish girl came to give us a concert on her harp. Not only did she play exceptionally well, but her music selections were pure. Her dress and demeanor were pure. Her countenance was pure. You couldn't miss that this young woman had an eye single to God's glory. That is so refreshing. Do people see that in me when they mix with me? That's what I want.

Sunday: 
I had to drive my friend Felix to the airport. Oh me, I wish I didn't have so many friends. He is an artist. He did a bronze replica of the Ten Commandments to give to 3ABN on behalf of Eden Valley. The piece looks good except that he divided the commandments five and five on the two tablets. It should have been four and six. I had to tell him he needed to fix that mistake or not give it to 3ABN in Eden Valley's name. If he wants to take the hit, he can give it in his own name.

I got a treat on Sunday. My brother Robert showed up. He helped my cut the grass in our cemetery. (Trudy Long was buried there this week.) Afterward we went to the restaurant. It was a very pleasant visit. I wish we had more time together.

Monday:
I finally got to talk to my Lover in Africa. She was sweltering in a little room in the YMCA in Dar. All is well, except that her accountant wants to charge $600 to do her books. (Too much.) I spent time with a man from the City Water Works dept. We are thinking of perhaps putting EVI on city water.  A pretty lady came by also wanting to exchange lectures (her lecturing our lifestyle patients) for a place to live. Sorry! We do all our own lecturing. 

When Rob came by, he told me of another magic potion. Apparently, it cures nearly everything. Isn't it amazing! I have cure-alls coming out of my ears. (No wonder I am so healthy.)

Tuesday:
Leonard Smith, our new accountant, showed up with his first load of furniture. I really enjoyed his company. He is a good conversationalist. His wife more. One lifestyle guest told me that he had been to four lifestyle centers and that EVI had the most spiritual people. I thanked God for the compliment and for blinding their eyes. Actually, I'm proud of my staff. In many respects, the man was right. Some people scoff at Christianity. Others rant against it. Few have ever seen the real thing face to face and they wouldn't give themselves the chance to see it for fear they found it to be true. One day, the Lord will glorify Himself through His people in a mighty way. I'd like to be used that way, wouldn't you? Jesus means everything to me.

Wednesday:
I preached a strong sermon to my staff. The sermon was a good stand-alone talk, but there were some in the audience who are privy to what is going on, and they caught the gist and intention of the message. They thought I was pretty bold. (I may tell you more someday.)
We unloaded Len's truck and while he put dead bolts on his doors I went to lunch with Bill Bosko and Kevin Hogfeldt. I don't like being invited by my Vice-chairman and Vice-president to lunch. You've got to know they intend to drill something into you. They did. It wasn't too bad. I think I drive business people crazy. My approach to leadership is too soft for them. They can see that things would go so much better if they could knock some sense into my head. I'm too soft, but my head, oh my head, it is so hard. I appreciate their trying. Little by little, something will get through. Maybe. (Maybe not.)

Tragedy. One of my lifestyle guest left discouraged. This so rarely happens that it when it does it leaves us sad to the core. His PSA went up while he was with us. It should have gone down. I can think of two other times that happened, and it happened to similar people. It appears like pessimists draw negative results to themselves. I believe in the power of positive thinking based on God's promises. Our poor man is expecting to die now and can't seem to see the hope that is so sure in Christ. I feel bad. Maybe I'll write him and try to speak hope to him.

Thursday: 
It's today. I'm fasting for two days. I hate fasting, but I have cause. I sat through several hours of Executive Committee deliberations this morning. Yuk! After Exc. Comm. I am always left with the dirty work of telling people their request was denied, or worse. Today wasn't so bad. 

That's it for now. Honor Him and He will honor you. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Dad, I like everyday stuff!! It's good to know you are still kicking! :0)
    Love you!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete