Friday, May 29, 2009

Taking Risks

Here we are, we've managed to survive another week unscathed. 

Last Thursday and Friday I fasted on water. That wasn't so bad, but my brother, Robert, had told me of a new cure-all he'd discovered and I decided to try it. (There isn't anything wrong with me. I shouldn't be trying to fix what isn't broken. I nearly broke it.) The potion is  pretty potent. I started with one drop on Thursday morning. I graduated to two drops on Thursday evening. On Friday morning, after having fasted since Wednesday evening, I though I would take three drops. I squeezed the bottle, one-e-e drop, two-o-o-o drops and when I went for three the bottle squirted. I don't know how much it squirted, but I thought, it will be okay. Well, it wasn't okay. I had to drive to DayStar Academy sick as a dog. Today, I still have diarrhea, one week later. 

I was invited to speak at a Camp Meeting in Russia in August. Can't go! I have a speaking engagement in Spokane at the same time. I don't think I would go anyway, except that I have gotten word that my Russian translator, Olga Martinemko, 32 just found out she has vaginal cancer third stage. She has only been my translator on two trips, but I have no better friend at that end of the world. She is a strong leader, doing many month-long schools all over the former USSR. I haven't seen her in at least three years, but I feel like I should do something for her. So, I'm going to try to raise money to bring her to EVI for a free session. She is in the hospital now, taking radiation. (A mutual friend tells me she lost 22 lbs.)  If it isn't too much for you to whisper a prayer for her, I know she'd appreciate it. 

May 23,
I was at DayStar for the graduation and board meeting. The Saturday night firefall was better than I've ever seen it. Every year, someone climbs the Perriott Mesa and builds a fire. After dark on the Sabbath of graduation they throw the fire off of a cliff, 1,500 ft. above the school. Sometimes, it is quite spectacular. (I slept longer hours than usual and took a two hour nap in the afternoon.)

May 24,
I did something I have always wanted to do. Though still a little weak for being sick, I climb the Perriott Mesa. It is only 1,500 ft. elevation, but I tell you the truth, it was the most difficult climb I've ever attempted. We were about eight people, half were very young, teens, including Jerry Harris' daughter Heidi. The other half was in their forties, and then there was me, 61. We had to help all the girls and at least one of the men up. I'm sure I could make it alone, but not without lots of scary moments. On our way back down, we met Dr. Wilson from Monument Valley on his way up alone. Dr. Wilson is 78 years old. He made it too. I was impressed. It seems like I was forever hanging over 1,000 ft. cliffs wondering where to get another hand or toe hold. At the end of the day, I was ecstatic for having done it. Now I can see what climbers feel when the conquer fear and mountain. 

I'm impressed with DayStar Academy. You know, Fountainview has a real classic thing going for them over there in Canada, but I like the rough and tumble, practical, cowboy western feel of DayStar Academy. 

May 25,
The board meeting was a pleasant experience. These folks haven't had a stipend for five months, but no one is complaining. Godliness with contentment is great gain. They have needs, however. They need two good teachers, a Registrar and a farm hand. Any takers? 

May 26, 
I got to talk with my Lover today. She is doing well, still working on papers for her land. She doesn't have a bird, like I would, when things go slow in Africa. Imagine all the birds she would have otherwise. I prep'd a special sermon today. (I might tell you about it in a couple of days.)

May 27,
There is good news and bad news: The good news is, ASI sent Janet a check for $17,500 and they sent EVI one for $10,000 for the farm. The bad news is, Dr. Iris Paul has kidney cancer. It is metastecized??? into other places. We voted at EVI to offer her a free Lifestyle session if she will accept it. She is selling her house and moving in with her daughter in CA.

May 28,
In our last Lifestyle session we had a man with cancer who was in such pain that he couldn't stand it. He decided to leave early on account of it. He drove home to Arizona, wrote us a beautiful letter of thanks and committed suicide. He shot himself outside the emergency unit of the local hospital.

Today, we put an extension ladder in the forks of our Bobcat and hoisted it to the top of the highest peak of our church. I took the risk of climbing up there to change a light bulb. That was actually every bit as scary as climbing Perriott. So, here is today's quizz: How many Eden Valley-ites does it take to change a light bulb? Three, if they have a Bobcat. 

I'll try to tell you a bad story in a day or two.  

No comments:

Post a Comment