Saturday, August 29, 2009

Happy Sabbath

I am having a happy Sabbath. I preached a sermon on faith today. It was for me. That fact alone is a mystery. If I know the concept enough to preach it, why do I need to preach it for me? I don't know, but it works.

The most poignant point in the sermon came as a result of reading two quotes: DA 300:1 "The Lord can do nothing for the recovery of man until, convinced of his weakness and stripped of all self-sufficiency, he yields himself to the control of God. Then . . ." (At the point of being convinced and stripped) God is able to do for him what he's yearned to do all along.) The other quote says, "What is justification by faith?" The answer comes, "It is the work of God in laying the glory of man in the dust." TM 456.

If you ever wonder why, at certain intervals, nothing goes right . . . That's why. God yearns to save and He can't until we are "convinced of our nothingness and stripped of our self-confidence."

Believe it or not. That gives me huge hope and courage.

Since my Lover left for Africa nearly two weeks ago, I've been praying two and one half hours per day . . . every day. In some respects, everything I do makes things worse. On the other hand, I am convinced that God's promises are true and they are true even for me (and you of course.)

I announced to our church this morning that I will be transitioning out of EVI over the next year. The assumption at this point is that I will join my wife in Africa as soon as I can find someone to replace me. I doubt the Lord has other plans. In the meantime, I will do my best to find my replacement and to push EVI forward. Change to me is always exciting. Frankly, I don't intend to involve myself in leadership any more. I've just realized that I've been doing this for 31 years now. After 31 years, you'd think I would have learned something. On the other hand, if God sees that I need more humbling, then who am I to deny Him. Boy, I hope not. I'd like a twenty-year sabbatical, thank you.

One thing though, God is more real to me now, than ever before. I see myself in darker hues and by contrast, I see God in brighter colors. I am thoroughly corrupt and He is intrinsically pure. In myself I am lost, but He can overcome even that and bring me home. I believe it. Thrilling paradox.

Have a happy week. The Preacher to his tribe.

1 comment:

  1. reading two quotes? You mean reciting two quotes... :)

    Thanks for sending the cd and the internet link.

    ReplyDelete