Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Alarming

The title for last night’s message was, “Contemptible Religion.” Much of religion today is contemptible, especially Pharisaic religion. The point being: We are saved by the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ alone. Once God’s love at the cross is understood, the sinner becomes so grateful that obedience becomes a delight and sacrifice turns out to be pleasurable. But self-generated obedience, mechanical, legalistic obedience leaves its bearer despicable. “He (Jesus) spoke a parable onto them that trusted in themselves that they were righteous and despised others. In other words, they became despicable. (Luke 18:9)

It is as if, the mechanical religionist envies anyone who will not adopt the standards they have set for themselves. They therefore, cajole, entice, coerce, force or use anything in their power to make others suffer what they are suffering. (By the way, to try to meet the standard of the law in one’s own strength is terribly painful.) It made the elder brother in the parable of the Prodigal son angry. It caused Cain to kill Abel, and the Pharisees couldn’t wait to be rid of Jesus.

With that comes the mark of Cain—the mark of the Beast. Forcing another’s conscience is anti-Christ in nature. Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.” 2 Cor. 3:17. (Sorry, I went to sermonizing.)
**************************

Attendance was light, last night. My little interpreter, Ursela, felt bad for me, but I didn’t feel bad. First of all, I expected it. Weeknight meetings are harder to attend than weekend meetings. Secondly, I’ve pretty well settled in my mind that I am on God’s assignment, and I work with what I’m given. Appearances are deceiving.

It rained all night and the weather turned cold.

This morning Alona took me to see the hero’s square in downtown Budapest. We then went to a museum. All was pleasant. The excitement started when I got home. No one was home and they have a burglar alarm in their home, which I was to de-activate before the police are alerted. Well, I was too slow in my de-activating and the alarm went off. Do you think I could get the stupid thing to shut up? No way. About fifteen minutes later (after I prayed), grandma showed up and pushed the right buttons. Half an hour later, Andras showed up because the police called him to say his house was being burglarized. What can I say? Sorry, sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment