Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Funny Thing (Not so Funny)

A funny thing happened to me on the way to the meeting, last night. (A classic way to start a blog in the 50’s.) Here is what happened: I spent an hour or so preparing for a question and answer session on How to Start a Supporting Ministry, and What is ASI, OCI, with a little history and respective purposes.

Shortly after we left home (half hour trip to meeting hall), Andras’ asked, “How do you intend to start the meeting tonight?”

“Oh,” I said, “I’ll start with a little history, and move on to our purpose for being. Then I’ll do Q and A.”

“Oh no,” he said, “That isn’t what the meeting is about.”

“Really?”

“No, it’s about health reform,” he reminded me, “and how to do a lifestyle center.”

“But we’ve already spent an hour on that topic with the people.” (I wasn’t reminded, seeing I never received that message before, I think.)

So the conversation went . . . and left me with, “What am I to say more?” Fortunately, I figured the Lord would understand an honest misunderstanding and He would hear my frantic cry for wisdom. (He always does.) I remained amazingly calm. The blessing of being super phlegmatic.

Two SDA Conference officials attended, and a couple who started a lifestyle center in the western side of Budapest, besides some regulars. I got up and talked for five or ten minutes on my approach to teaching health principles to the un-initiated. Then I opened it up to questions. We were at least a full hour on questions. Afterward, the couple with the LSC invited me to have supper on Thursday with them. I already had an appointment with Andras’ junior to see the town, but everyone thought this was more important. The Lord didn’t let me down. He always hears my prayers.

Tonight, if all goes as planned, I should receive my crown. (Not what you think . . . eye tooth crown.) I saved $700 by having it done here rather than in Loveland.

I am about halfway through reading 1888 Materials by E. G. White. (1800 plus pages.) I read this set of four books 30 years ago, but I am getting a far different picture than what I got the first time. I guess I know much more of the history, the temperament of the various actors, and the drama playing out over God’s move to send a “Most Precious Message” through A. T. Jones and E. J. Waggoner. The battle between the forces of evil and good was intense and gut wrenching, especially for Mrs. White.

What gets me is that nothing’s changed, except that 127 years of water has gone under the bridge, and countless billions have been swept into eternity.
What to do? I’d like to believe that my life harmonizes with God’s will, but my reading proves that I am as lukewarm as anyone has ever been. The intensity of feeling, the love for souls, the sacrificial impulses, the agonizing in prayer that I should experience is not as it would be would I be filled with God’s Spirit. Knowing it doesn’t help a whole lot either, except that I do know to pray about it. Most people haven’t a clue.

I can’t imagine what will have to happen to shake me awake to become truly active in more than these feeble efforts in which I am involved. Nevertheless, I believe that “The work Christ has begun in me, He will finish.” Philippians 1:6. Always, at this point, my conscience says, “Remember Jacob! He was about your age when he finally got fed up with his carnal nature.” For boyhood, he fought for everything he ever wanted and more or less got his way, but always in his own strength, and never did he overcome his tendency to cheat his way to the top. Finally, by the brook Jabbok, while wrestling with an Angel (which he later identified as Christ), he saw his opportunity. Crippled and exhausted and great pain, yet he laid hold on Christ by the promises he had made and wouldn’t let Him go until He (Christ) fulfilled His promise of a new heart to him. That is my answer. (Check out EW 269 The Shaking.)

I need to get serious about this! What about you?


So says the Preacher to his Tribe.

No comments:

Post a Comment