Thursday, January 7, 2010

New Years Resolutions, yuk!

I give no thought to making New Years resolution. Usually, until I read our "Recovering Malcontent's" blog this morning. Here is a girl who says she gives no countenance to New Years resolutions either. "What's the difference between New Years day and any other day?" she asks. Then turns around and establishes a whole bunch of goals for the year. Hmm, what is that?

"Success in any line, demands a definite aim." Education 262. I believe in it, but . . .

I am not like our little Malcontent. I am like she says she is. I don't set goals. Well, I think I don't, anyway, unless I do it unconsciously. Hey, I have a mission statement, does that count? Here it is: "I live at all expense to myself for the honor and glory of God and for the good and happiness of others." That's the overall direction I want my life to take. Outside of that, I am neither goal or task oriented. I am relational to the extreme, especially when it involves the management of people. Getting people to perform means less to me than winning their confidence and helping them heavenward.

I also read something else on resolutions today: "We don't hesitate to tell our kids to reach for the stars: 'The world is yours, you can make and do and become anything you want.' So how come when it comes to our own 'grown up' aspirations, we extinguish the stars and set limitations instead?" That's a rebuke to my approach to life. That's how I am. Oh, who shall deliver me from this body of irresolution?

So now I'd like to make a resolution. Ya, right! . . . Blank . . . blankety blank . . . blank! (Maybe I'll try next year.) Hey, I know, maybe I'll write a book, maybe.

Do you see where this is going? Some people work their tails off to attain a goal. Others work their tails off for those who have a goal. Which are you? Which is best? In the end, if you don't have your own goals, you will be at the disposition of those who do.

So says the Preacher to his tribe.

1 comment:

  1. To clarify, I am a VERY goal oriented person! I just don't think that the first day of the year has any special relevance to setting them!

    Obviously I am the type that sets my own goals and works my tail off to attain them.

    I've heard many times that the best way to reach a goal is to have it written, and shared with others for accountability and support. I have never tried to do that before, because I'm always afraid of being embarrassed when I DON'T succeed.

    Several times I speak about something I would like to do, just to get a sense from those around me if it's attainable at all, or way out of my league. I'm struggling now with that, knowing that my "business plans" aren't attainable in the near future, I feel like the people I've spoken to about it will consider me wishy-washy, or a failure for not moving ahead. However, often the exploring of the idea is what I need to realize that it may NOT be a good idea to pursue.

    This is the first time I've actually made public goals for the year. We'll see how that turns out!!

    ReplyDelete