Sunday, December 12, 2010

December Highlights

Two days ago, December 10, my dad would have turned 90. He died at 56. No matter, I still think fondly of him every year on this date. We always got along very well, until of course, I began to read the Bible. I never help was angry over the situation. To him, what I was doing was treason, a rejection of important tradition and the one church that had to be the only church. I understood then. I understand better now. Nevertheless, if a person chooses to walk with God using God's word, he will garner resistance and sometimes persecution. (I was never persecuted enough to wad a shotgun.) I did the right thing. I hope that doesn't sound too arrogant? But I did.

It's like I told someone not long ago. If I hadn't, I would be sitting in the same chair, drinking the same beer, watching the same hockey puck go up and down the ice for forty years. Instead, I've been used to preach the plan of salvation from God's word in most of the 33 countries I've visited or lived in. I don't have many talents, but God uses the little I have so consistently that sometimes I'm embarrassed to be in the positions I find myself in. My wife is remarkable for the achievements she's reached, even still today. My children are not only law abiding citizens, but aggressive missionaries, amazingly talented and accomplished. You just need to read their blogs to see it. If the Lord does nothing more for me than He's done to date, I have enough to praise Him for eternity already.

Yesterday, was Julie's birthday. She's finally reached the big forty. I'm not sure she was really looking forward to this day, but it's better than the alternative. My Lover comes home in three days. I think I've written that I may not recognize her, it's been so long. I really have to be careful at the airport not to make a mistake.

It was on a December 15 that my grandmother/godmother died. I was 15 years old doing math in my bedroom when the phone call came. Why do I always remember that on this date? Somethings are unexplainable.

Hey, If you are going to retain anything, retain this: Jesus is everything to us. Set your affections on Him. Behold Him, His condescension, His lowly birth; consider His sacrifice, His love for you, His eternal vigilance over you and . . . give thanks. Love you all. The Preacher.

5 comments:

  1. LOL Frank! If I was still at EVI I would come with you to the airport and help you find your wife, but I'm sure you will do fine ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S.: And be assured that there are more blessings to come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There aren't many women 5 feet tall with curls and a laugh like hers. If you can't trust your eyes just listen...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angie has her pegged so well - and she is so right - she has an incredible laugh

    ReplyDelete