Saturday, December 25, 2010

Cliff Hanger

Happy Sabbath. There is an extra blessing to Christmas this year. The Sabbath makes it more sacred. This morning I read chosen passages from the Desire of Ages at church, interspersed with a dozen special songs by special singers, all local. It was very good. The weather continues to be abnormally warm. I don't know to call it Global Warming because the rest of the country is blanketed with tons of snow, and Europe can't seem to shake the below normal temperatures. Some of our mountains received between six and eight feet of snow in the last week. Everywhere but here. Thank you, Lord.

Did I leave you with a cliff hanger in my last blog? Ah, sorry! Actually, I forgot about it until Julie and Jason reminded me. Like, well-l-l-l, what is the big proposal? . . . Oh, nothing!

I need to be careful what I say. If I reveal my feelings, I might influence things inappropriately. So, my plan is to let the Lord decide.

Anyway, the EVI Search Committee was considering a few names--very few--when the idea was floated that maybe we could ask Janet to oversee the construction of our new building thrust--Lifestyle Center, new houses, and the repair of the old houses. Leasa took Janet out for lunch. (I was to say nothing-g-g-g.) I assume my vice-president turned on the charm and put her best persuasive self forward, and helped Janet to see that we cannot possibly do it without her. (Which, In many respects is true. At least, at this time we have no one better.)

To some degree, the proposal fell a little short. How can a woman who can't build her own African houses without her son, supervise the construction of an ultra modern facility? My wife was quick to point out this discrepancy. She figures it is all an attempt to get me to stay. Yes, my staff want me to stay, but no, Janet has qualities that would be invaluable to the project.

Obviously, my Lover is not about to come running to EVI and just dump her mission in Africa. The proposal also offered to pay her way to Africa twice a year, so she could supervise it to some degree. It failed to take in the fact that we already pay her way twice a year to Africa. Ah well!

Here I think is where it's at, right now. Because my wife has a big heart and wants to help everyone that asks for it, she has agreed to help organize the buying and the accumulating of the material that Maranatha will need by May 2011. This is not the construction of the lifestyle center. This will include the building of one new house and the repair of our old buildings. I even heard her say she might be able to help more, whatever that means.

Where does that leave me? Essentially, nothing changes with me. Perhaps I should rehearse the story in your ear, the short version: After the Lord spent two years trying to make me more humble, I finally concluded that I was too incompetent to be in leadership. So, in the spring of 2009 I began to announce that I would transition out of EVI by September 2010. I was perfectly convinced that I was not for leadership. It only made sense after the disaster I created at EVI. From then on I began to tell my wife I would join her in Africa in the fall of 2009, if she would have me, of course. You never know, she might not want the same mess in Mago. From that moment on, God, by an amazing display of grace reversed course. When we humble ourselves, He lifts us up. Everything began to prosper, at least, it prospered far more than it had for a while. The biggest blessing came in the person of Leasa Hodges. (I can see her face as she reads this, humble girl.) The Lord outfitted her with energy, initiative, creativity, ideas and much more, and if there is no reason to have a party, she'll think of one.

Immediately, she asked Janet and I to consider my staying at EVI until May 2011. We agreed. Since then, it seems everyone on the team cannot see us gone. (This is of grace also.) Both my heart, and Janet's are touched with the need and the display of love, but now what???

Sometimes my Lover says she feels guilty because she doesn't think I'll be happy in Africa. I have never been unhappy. Why should I be unhappy in Africa. Sometimes she says, I don't think it's going to happen? She doesn't say that it should happen, or shouldn't happen, she just says she doesn't think it will happen. Can you see how safe that kind of talk is?

From my side, I said I was going to Africa, period. The Bible says, "Swear to your own hurt, and change not." Psalms 15. So, unless the Lord changes my direction, I'm going to Africa. I am not saying that would be the best decision. The problem is, I've already made a decision. Now my wife and I pray together. Being together has become important. Knowing God's will is even more important. You all might pray with us. Eden Valley is picking up a heavy burden, and I hate to let others struggle under the load and not help lift it. On the other hand, I can't go around telling my wife I'm going to Africa, and then change my mind. Do you see the dilemma?

Thank you for praying with us.

The Preacher.

1 comment:

  1. Frank and Janet - I am honored to have known you both in my youth and the influence you have left with me has followed my my life through thus far - your love to complete the Lord's plans in your life and the results of that labour i witnessed by many individuals and now you can see how others are guided ..... you will follow what the Lord wants - look at your kids - i am in awe when i read their lives and i continue to be blessed - oh i should let you know i came across letters you both worte to me when you first moved to Africa the very first time - interesting

    Love you both - Ms Jo

    ReplyDelete