Thursday, September 9, 2010

Knowledge Power

It's Thursday. Not too much happening, though there is always a degree of stress to contend with.

The Lifestyle guests seem to be doing alright. It's a bit worrisome when you suspect one or two of them of sneaking off to smoke marijuana. The question is: How do you handle that? Do you call in the Mounties, confront them sternly or tactfully, or wait on the Lord in the matter. We are watching closely to ascertain whether the other guests are negatively impacted. No sign that they know anything at this point. They all come to the devotional hour to hear the gospel. Therefore, I'm slow to do anything that will jeopardize the possibility of anyone missing out on finding salvation. So far, I've/we've chosen to stay cool and wait to see how the Lord moves upon us.

We are coming close to another Annual Board Meeting, Oct. 3,10. There are no big issues this year. At least, I hope there aren't any. Our finances are down a little. We'd actually be in great shape if the farm hadn't suffered a major setback again this year. As a result, we wrestle with how to relate to next year's farming. Should we keep on going, or should we close down? Should we scale down? I feel it would be wise to decide before the board meeting.

The Lifestyle Center is still full. It's been more than a year and one half now. The health food store stays in the black, and our overseas missions are pretty well thriving. I praise God.

I put a missionary lady, Carmen Rosario, whose been with us for a week on an airplane last night. She use to do the promotional work in Uchee Pine's Lifestyle Center. I have the impression that they will miss her dearly. I've been trying to recruit her for quite some time. Instead, she committed herself to Bolivia. However, the situation isn't real solid over there and I dare to hope she will come this way in the not to distant future.

Michelle and Yuli will arrive on Sept 16. (Michelle is my niece. She is married to a Bulgarian lawyer and they live in London, England.) All of us who travel from Africa through London stop for an overnight rest at their house. Very handy, indeed, and very hospitable of them, also. They plan to spend three weeks with me. Yuli is wanting to make himself useful. We'll see. What can I do to end up needing a lawyer?

Yesterday, I preached on The Power of Knowledge.

"Knowledge is power for good or for evil." FE 111. That means you aren't too dangerous if you don't know anything. Well, maybe! On the positive side, you might be a real blessing if you educated yourself to be one, a blessing that is. I work on the assumption that most people, even the "unchurched" would prefer to do good rather than evil. The problem for most is, where do they find the fodder to fill their minds with good things. The world is corrupt and corrupts everything it influences. TV, radio, internet and the media at large spews out evil with only enough good to be dangerous. Few are perceptive enough to tell good and evil apart.

How simplified is life when the Bible becomes the standard. "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise [the] wisdom and instruction [it offers.] Pro 1:7. "In [Christ] is hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge." Col. 2:3. Where then should we go for an education?

Am I saying we shouldn't go to school, college, university? No, but I am saying the school of Christ is superior to any other institution you or your kids can attend. I am also saying that any school, even Yale and Harvard, are a waste of time and money, if the Bible is neglected. And I am convinced that most people are unbelievers in this matter. They don't realize that "the work of education and the work of redemption are one." Ed 30. Life, if all there is is what the world offers, isn't worth the living.

So says the Preacher to his tribe.

2 comments:

  1. I admit that I sometimes need to look up words when I read your posts Frank. But I'm sure you are doing a good job keeping your health guests under control - and it would take too long for the Mounties to come all the way from Canada anyway! Wish I could be there for the RI seminar and convention...

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great visit is wished on you guys to all have - maybe John and Janice will go as well - my room mates kids attend SAU in Collegedale TN; during high school they went to public system and they love the SDA education they are receiving - the cost is high but all higher education is - ($22,000 for 1 yr)

    ReplyDelete