Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Keep it Together

I just read Jason's blog. It's been a long time, if ever, that we've been through that much hassle because of being in Africa. It's wonderful to have adventure, but it gets tiring when you can't eat, or when all they give you to eat is green slime and goat meat. Hey, the kid wanted to be a missionary. . . we are glad for it. Hope he survives.

When I have a camera, I don't use it. When I don't have one, I wish I could take pictures. That's how it was on the weekend. I did a wedding in Moab, Utah. Moab has to be the most awe-inspiring land I've ever visited. When there, I always wish I could capture the magesty?? of it all.

The wedding, as most weddings do, make me real nervous. First of all, there is no pulpit. SoI have to hold my big-ole' Bible all the while, with my notes in it. Then the couple stand practically on your toes. (I tend to spit when I speak. Only half kidding.) I have to juggle all of that and remember what I am suppose to say, then I have to keep track of events because I'm suppose to be directing traffic. Anyway, the wedding went off more smoothly than most, and I was complemented because of being so practical in my advice to the young couple. If the Lord hadn't blessed, I would have made a mess.

My car's AC didn't work. It was over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Mavis, Beverly and I went to the wedding. We nearly cooked.

Right now, I'm sitting at the airport again, on my way to the GC. I will be there one full day, and I have three meetings to attend. This afternoon at four we have a Search Committee meeting for the OCI presidency. The initial letter we sent out revealed a very interesting fact. (I'll tell you about it some day.) Tomorrow at 9:00 A.M., we have an OCI board meeting. Then, I have to meet with Markus, I think it is over the Country Haven sale. I guess I'll find out.

I need to talk to the new President of DayStar also. He is making changes and his future staff are very worried over those changes.

It's flattering when people think very highly of you, but there is a danger. They might just put you in a position beyond your ken. There is more to contend with than meets the eye. Pride, once awakened, clamors for recognition. It's a job to hold one's pride at bay and to keep your well meaning friends from doing you a disfavor.

So says the Preacher to his tribe.

No comments:

Post a Comment